Friday, June 10, 2011

What to do with old business cards

Ever wonder what to do with old business cards? Back in the day, we didn't have the magic of Google to help us figure this out, but nowadays it's really as simple as typing in "what to do with old business cards" and voila! there are many answers to choose from.

One of the most fun ones I came across is to make cubes. It takes 6 cards each, and you make these "U" square brackets with each one. Then with some finagling they fit together without any tape or glue to form a cube! When you make enough of them you can stack them and do other fun things with them.

cubes pyramid!

The key is not to take them apart. I gave them to some engineers and the first thing they wanted to do was pull them apart to see how they were put together. But the card's fold elasticity gives out if you do that and it won't hold the shape anymore. So don't take it apart!

I made a whole bunch before hand to give to people, but still had a good third of the box left, so I was teaching everyone else how to do it too. We did this at the bar, and the bartender was very confused. At one point we made enough boxes to build a short wall, and I was trying to get to the menu beneath - I was boxed in, literally. =P

You can also make more intricate things like a frog, which if made correctly, can actually jump when pressed. At one point one of these little critters made it onto my shoulder.

Watch out for that frog!
But it's all good! I wouldn't be so calm if it were a real frog.

Teresa, Michelle, me, and Len
So all is well in the end. We tried to get a normal group photo but someone had to be super tall when they're already tall for some reason.

Katie, me, Teresa, Ksenia, Len, Craig
I think someone else must have a normal photo of us somewhere. But for now, this is the best I got. :)

1 comment: